It has a number of advantages over mklist, including:
- The ability to disregard parts whose names begin with certain characters, by using the command, meaning that colour aliases and other parts that are defined with leading character such as or are not listed.
- Different sorting options (eg. for description, for filename, to leave patterns at the end).
- The ability to shorten long descriptions to ensure compatibility with older LDraw software.
LDMakeList is included with the LDraw All-In-One Installer.
LDMakeList Use -? for help, -v for version Valid options are: -d or -D : sort by _D_escription (default) -n or -N : sort by file_N_ame -p or -P : sort by description (_P_atterns at end of file) -s or -S : use _S_hort descriptions* -m or -M : include pri_M_itives in the list -u or -U : include _U_nofficial part directory -a or -A : exclude _A_liases from the list -r or -R : _R_emove duplicate entries (experimental) -o or -O : Include _o_fficial parts only -l[DIRNAME] or -L[DIRNAME] : Read from _L_Draw director DIRNAME -h[C] or -H[C] : -H_ide descriptions starting with character(s) [C] -i[C] or -I[C] : str_I_p leading character(s) [C] from descriptions -x or -X : do not write parts._x_ml file eg. "LDMakeList -d -h=_ -i~" will generate a parts.lst file sorted by description (-d), excluding colour = and some parts _ (-h=_), and removing the ~ character (-i~) from the start of descriptions The -L tag lets you select the base directory for your LDraw installation (defaults to environment variable LDRAWDIR) eg. "LDMakeList -d -L." sorts by descriptions in the present directory eg. "LDMakeList -u" will look in [LDRAWDIR]/Unofficial/Parts as well as [LDRAWDIR]/Parts for part files The -m tag is not recommended for beginner LDraw users * The old limit for part descriptions is 64 characters and it is possible that descriptions longer than this might break some old software. This ensures that the output filenames are no longer than 64 characters. Use if programs are giving errors. Sort by [D]escription or [N]umber?
Selecting eitheror will arrange the data in the outputted file in a certain order. The option to select or will not appear if the option or or is selected.
By running the application from the command line, the other switches can also be enabled or disabled.
Instructions for Mac (NB. you probably require OS X Mavericks to run this)
- Save here) without changing its filename into your LDraw directory. (
- Double-click on it in , then go into the directory it creates.
- Double-click on , it will run with in the parent directory.
- If you extract to anywhere else, first copy and into your LDraw directory, and then run.
NB Mac power users may also use, then into the LDraw directory, then run with any of the command line arguments listed above.
 This stripsoff the end of the script's directory if present, and runs there. If not present, it simply runs in the script's directory.